May 31, 2011

It's Not Polite To Ask a Gal Her Weight

Well.... the clocks a tickin'! I am down to one month before the maiden voyage with Dixie. We are taking her 4 hours north up the coast to St. Augustine, Florida for Independence Day. Two weekends ago I got her road worthy and got a temp. tag and took her to be weighed. The guy that gave her to me never had a title and the guy he got her from has since passed so I need a title. The tag agency said I could title her as a "homemade trailer" due to the extent of renovation but she has to be less than 2000 pounds. Well.... She tipped the scale at 1700lbs so I will bring the certified weight ticket in this week and have it back in ten days! SWEET!!!


I removed a piece of sheet aluminum that had been installed in place of the original Hehr pop up roof vent. I decided to take the roof vent off of Buddy and install it on Dixie.


 It is in perfect shape and I will be putting a powered fan in Buddy for sure so why not use it for Dixie. I majorly improved the structure of the ceiling around the vent. I sealed it tight and used stainless #10 screws. I need to get pictures of the vent installed. OOPS!



I did get a picture of the tag light LED retrofit that I did and it works great!



We decided to remove the refrigerator the other day because we don't want any propane appliances anymore. It seems as though they built the trailer around the refrigerator because there was no way it was going to fit out the 20 inch wide door. Not even close. I had to take it apart to get it out. By the way... it was loaded with ammonia as a refrigerant and when I was cutting it apart, well I forgot about the refrigerant and it spilled out all over the floor. My assistant was not happy with me. I finished the job alone needless to say :(
I don't have pictures to post yet but I spent a good part of the day running new wire. I will have a lot of 12volt options now. Originally it came with one 12volt light over the front couch/bed and you had to be plugged into your tow vehicle for it to work. I plan to have a battery or two so I ran a wire for a future 12v ceiling vent fan, two new lights under the front upper storage compartment, the bathroom light, a water pump, an outlet under the front window and a light that I plan to retrofit into the grab handle by the door. I also ran some 120volt wire for a new light in the back over the small bookshelf between the bathroom wall and the bed. It will match the existing light fixture that is by the bed on the other side. I also ran wire for a refrigerator, a microwave and an outlet under the front window as well as an outlet on the outside just in front of the storage compartment door.

So... I just got busy with Dixie again and will continue hard and heavy for the next month. After the Beach trip, it will be time for fine tuning! Stay tuned!


Notice the wingtip light!!!!  Not the dents :(


No comments:

Post a Comment